Christmas Bureau – We’re here to help you celebrate the holidays
If you’re unable to afford the holidays and would like to participate in the Christmas Bureau, our community is here to help you. Many of the families who now give back to the Christmas Bureau were participants at some point in their lives, too.
How it works
Our volunteers are here to help you in a few different ways:
The Toy Shop – You can choose new, donated toys and gifts for your children, ages 18 and under. We know that toys and gifts for children are expensive, and The Toy Shop is a place where you can select a present that you can give to your child yourself.
Holiday gift baskets – You can also choose to receive a basket filled with grocery gift cards, wrapped presents for each family member, and other festive items. Many members of our community understand that it’s not easy to afford the holidays, and they want you to have what you need to celebrate Christmas with your family.
Do I qualify for support?
If you live on the North Shore and will be home for the holidays, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Once you’ve completed the form, please call 604-984-9627 to schedule an interview with us. This will help us to make sure that we understand your family’s needs and wishes. You will also need to bring the following documents:
- Completed Christmas Bureau application form
- Proof of income (recent pay stubs or most recent income tax Notice of Assessment)
- Proof of address (telephone, gas, or hydro bill)
- B.C. Care Cards for each child (if applicable)
Thanks to the support of our donors and volunteers, there is no cost for this service.
Email email@example.com or pick up an application form at the following locations:
- Family Services of the North Shore
- Ministry of Social Development & Social Innovation – North Shore Employment & Income Assistance
- The Harvest Project
- North Shore Multicultural Society
- Ministry of Children & Family Development – North Shore Family Services
- Salvation Army
- North Shore Neighbourhood House
- North Shore Lookout Shelter
- Silver Harbour Seniors Centre
- West Vancouver Seniors Activity Centre
- North Shore Women’s Centre
- Mollie Nye House
- North Shore Crisis Services
- Tsleil-Waututh Nation
- Caring Circle, Bowen Island
When can I apply?
Starting in mid-October, the Christmas Bureau will be open weekdays from 10 am to 4 pm. We will gladly accept your applications until the end of November, but we also recommend that you apply early to give us enough time to match you with a fellow community member.
Please take the time to fill in the “gift suggestion” portion of the application before you meet with us so we know the types of gifts that would mean the most to your family. Suggesting two or three gift alternatives for each family member is helpful. If your family is requesting clothing, please provide sizes and colour preferences, if possible. Each gift should cost around $30. Click here to apply.