Ways to Give

Give a Gift of Securities

The most tax-effective way to make an outright gift during your life, or as part of a legacy gift, is by donating appreciated stocks or mutual funds.
Give a gift of securities
Selling appreciated stocks or mutual funds requires an individual to pay tax on 50% of the capital gain. However, if you donate the appreciated securities to a registered non-profit, you pay no capital gains tax. Transferring your appreciated securities to Family Services of the North Shore is easy. A gift of publicly-traded securities – such as stocks, bonds or mutual funds – can be made to Family Services of the North by following these simple steps:
    1. Complete this form provided by Family Services of the North Shore and send it to your broker or financial advisor.
    2. Your broker may then contact and deliver the form to our agent, Scotia McLeod.
    3. Once the securities have been transferred to our brokerage account, Scotia McLeod will advise us with a written receipt for the securities and the closing bid value on the day the securities were received into our account.
    4. We will issue an official receipt to you, for income tax purposes, for the value as determined by Scotia McLeod.
    5. At Family Services of the North Shore, it is our policy that securities, once received by our broker, be sold in accordance with our investment policies.

For more information or to learn more about the advantages of donating a gift of securities, please contact Lucy Isham-Turner at 604-831-1223 or

Email Lucy