Give a Gift of Securities
Ways to donate
Give a gift of securities
Selling appreciated stocks or mutual funds requires an individual to pay tax on 50% of the capital gain. However, if you donate the appreciated securities to a registered non-profit, you pay no capital gains tax.
Transferring your appreciated securities to Family Services of the North Shore is easy.
A gift of publicly-traded securities – such as stocks, bonds or mutual funds – can be made to Family Services of the North by following these simple steps:
- Complete this form provided by Family Services of the North Shore and send it to your broker or financial advisor.
- Your broker may then contact and deliver the form to our agent, Scotia McLeod.
- Once the securities have been transferred to our brokerage account, Scotia McLeod will advise us with a written receipt for the securities and the closing bid value on the day the securities were received into our account.
- We will issue an official receipt to you, for income tax purposes, for the value as determined by Scotia McLeod.
- At Family Services of the North Shore, it is our policy that securities, once received by our broker, be sold in accordance with our investment policies.